Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Pioneer Departs — His Legacy Lives On

I recently received the sad news of the passing of DeWelle "Skip" Ellsworth, founder of the Log Home Builders Association.

Last summer, Skip contacted me after reading a blog post about my experience in class. Though Skip has children who are older than I am (and two that are close to my children's ages), I felt a brotherhood with him. We talked about freedom. We talked about Ron Paul. He talked about his sons and life in the Philippines. I talked about wanting to raise up my sons to be as fine men as he had done.

I am proud to have published two articles in the September/October issue of Homeschooling Today magazine that both featured LHBA. The entire issue is available online. The articles are featured on the cover and begin on page 38. I post them here as a tribute to my brother Skip, one of my heroes.

The Legacy Continues
Today, I received a note from the Log Home Builders Association:
It's finally here—we are excited to announce our first new class in six months. We expect this class to fill up fast, so if you plan to attend then sign up right away. The class date will be December 6th and 7th, 2008.

This is a very special class, because it's the first one we've ever had at the spectacular Wallace Falls Lodge in Gold Bar, Washington.

Wallace Falls Lodge is a beautiful three story real butt and pass log home that is a working B&B run by former students. That means that you have the rare opportunity to book a room for the weekend and stay at our class location, along with fellow students and your instructor.

Sign up for the class here: December 6th and 7th log home class

Book a room here: Wallace Falls Lodge Room Add-On (or feel free to stay elsewhere for the class).

Please note that there are only 8 guest rooms available at the lodge for the weekend, and we expect those to fill up within the next 24 hours.


I highly recommend this class. I highly recommend it as a discipleship opportunity for fathers and sons to attend together. If you go, I want to hear about your experience.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Jim Bob,

Hope all is well with you and your family!

Imagine my excitement when I found out today from my lovely bride about your log home plans! Here's why....I'm planning to attend the Log Home Builders Assoc. class on Dec 6th! We heard about the class around a year ago from an Army guy here at Ft Rucker that was buying milk from us. He and his wife had attended the class previously and highly recommended it. Now that I've read about your experience (from your blog and article) I'm that much more confident that it is a good decision to go. I hope we can help each other reach our log home goals in the next few years after we hopefully relocate there this coming spring. Any other advice other than the slippers? I am staying at the lodge.

God be with you,

Steve Maus

Unknown said...

You may not need your slippers at the lodge. ;) So, my only other advice is to be ready to take lots of notes; you'll be drinking from a fire hydrant.

I can't wait to hear about your experience in class. Please give my regards to Ellsworth and Steve.

I look forward to working together to build our dream log homes here in SW Virginia/NE Tennessee.

Perhaps we can build a log church!! ;)